Saturday, May 9, 2009

My Favourite Rider



I would like to share with you about a masterpiece that I loved since my early childhood. I am sure you will find it very beautiful, as well. This is "Ryder" which was painted in 1832 by a very famous Russian neoclassic artist Karl Brullov.
I was about 5 years old when I first saw a reproduction of this painting in one of the Russian magazines. I remember so well how fascinated I was by the picture that I couldn't move my eyes away. I just loved looking at the rider and it was how I imagine a princess would look like. By the way, I saw myself in that little girl in the pink dress who was amazed by the lady on the horse. So, I tore a page from the magazine and kept it near my bed. Every night, before I went to bed, I looked at it.
Several years later, when my future husband and I met in Moscow for the first time, I took him to the Tret'yakov Gallery. I wanted to show him my favourite painting. By the time we found the room were the painting was hanging, we were told that the gallery was closing. I went to an orderly lady, a museum attendant, and asked her to take us to that room. She said "Net". I really-really wanted to see that piece and told the lady: "Look at this American gentleman. He came all away from the USA to see this painting and you cannot allow us two minutes to view it?" She responded: "Oh, I didn't know that he came specially for this artwork from so far away. Of course, I want him to see it. It is such a beautiful piece. Follow me, I will take you to this room." We went running to see my favourite painting. We viewed it in a happy silence. Since then, it became one of my husband's favourite arts, too. Thanks to that lady, he was able to see the art which I treasured since I was a child. Yes, he came from an opposite side of the world to see this timeless and gorgeous Russian art.

No comments:

Post a Comment